In mid January 2016 I started trying to unravel the dates when the various ACTC magazines were published. Then, less than a month later, I was lucky enough to acquire, from MCC member Martin Webb, a veritable treasure trove of old trials magazines which not only filled lots of gaps in my own collection but also answered some of the outstanding questions. If anyone wishes a scan of any particular issue, do please Contact Me.
At the date of first publication of this page – 17 February 2016 – the following questions are still unanswered. All contributions welcome!
- Can anyone provide the actual dates (month and year) for Four Wheels Out, numbers 1 to 21 inclusive? – Now answered, thanks to Mark Milne.
- Can anyone provide confirmation of any issues of Restart published in 1990?
- Can anyone confirm whether there was a Volume 3, Issue No.3 of Restart in late 1992, i.e. one after Issue No.2 in July 1992?
Four Wheels Out – the first “ACTC” magazine
Four Wheels Out started out, in July 1981, as “The Magazine of Sporting Trials”, changing its byline to “The Magazine of Sporting and Classic Trials” in March 1984 (No.28) and keeping this byline to the last issue in May 1987 (No.60).
- 1981 – July 1981 (No.1) to December 1981 (No.5). Five issues (no August).
- 1982 – January 1982 (No.6) to December 1982 (No.15). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1983 – January 1983 (No.16) to December 1983 (No.25). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1984 – January 1984 (No.26) to December 1984 (No.35). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1985 – January 1985 (No.36) to December 1985 (No.35). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1986 – January 1986 (No.46) to December 1986 (No55). Ten issues (no June or August).
- 1987 – January 1987 (No.56) to May 1987 (No.60). Five issues.
I have a continuous run of 39 issues of Four Wheels Out from September 1983 (No.22) to May 1987 (N0.60).
Wheelspin – the second “ACTC” magazine
“The Magazine of Sporting and Classic Trials”. Brian Cope was the editor of all issues.
- Volume 1 – No.1 September 1987 to No.9 May 1988. Monthly. Nine issues.
- Volume 2 – No.1 September 1988 to No.9 May 1989. Monthly. Nine issues.
- Volume 3 – No.1 September 1989 to No.9 May 1990. Monthly. Nine issues.
I have all 27 issues of Wheelspin.
Restart – the third (and current) official ACTC magazine
Believed to be first published in July 1990, but the first copy I have is Volume 2, No.1 (March 1991). Can anyone cast any light on the issues from 1990? Anne Templeton and Jenny Vowden were the editors from 1991 to March 1993, and Anne Templeton (on her own) from September 1993 to July 1997.
- 1990 – ???
- 1991 – Volume 2. March / July / December. Three issues.
- 1992 – Volume 3. March / July. Two issues. Was there a third?
- 1993 – Volume 4. March / September / December. Three issues.
- 1994 – Volume 5. May / August / December. Three issues.
- 1995 – Volume 6. April / September / December. Three issues.
- 1996 – Volume 7. May / September / December. Three issues
- 1997 – Volume 8. July / November. Two issues.
Pat Toulmin took over the role of editor from Volume 9, Issue 1, March 1998 since when Restart has been published four times a year, every year.
I have a complete run of all the issues of Restart listed above, from Volume 2 to the present day.
Triple – the MCC magazine
Triple was first published in October 1974 (the “First Issue”), then three times every year from January 1975 (No.1) to date, except 1992 when there were four issues. All the issues are consecutively numbered so, after 41 years (1975 to 2015 inclusive), the Winter 2015 issue is No.124 (41 x 3 = 123 + the extra one in 1992 = 124) although, of course, it’s actually the 125th issue as the “First Issue” was not numbered!
I have a complete run of Triple, from the First Issue to the present day, except numbers 5, 6, 8, and 10.
Page published : 17 February 2016